Friday 8 June 2007

The Ink-Blue Lake

An ink-blue lake is what we had been promised. Living in India, where the holiest of rivers, the Ganges had been polluted and even the mightiest of the mountains, the Himalayas had succumbed to the greed of modern development; one actually mused if such a lake was today nothing but a delusion of the modern mind.

Monroe Forester once said, “Hope is always available to us. When we feel defeated, we need only take a deep breath and say, "Yes," and hope will reappear.” That bright sunny afternoon, hope reappeared before my eyes as I caught my first glimpse of an ink blue sheet of liquid, the mighty and picturesque Pangong Lake. An hour by the lake and I found myself closer to paradise than I had ever done before.

A drop of the ocean encompassed between natural pyramids of sandstone, the visit to the Pangong Tso was indeed an enlightening and spiritual experience. Memories of that divine afternoon now lay on my shelf in the form of one smooth pebble which I picked up amongst the countless shiny stones, natural gems, crystals, rocks, and slates that decorated the banks of the Tso.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just beffore the deadline :)

No comments: